8.29.2009

One Doesn't Eat and One Doesn't Sleep...

Our family has delightful kids -- weird but delightful kids. I can say that because I am 'related ' :)

We had two extras spend the night last night -- their folks went out on a date, and were going to enjoy the peace and quiet of a childless night.

Or -- so.they.thought.

The humming of laughing children filtered through the air, the Wii in full swing, and the shrieks of laughter with the various "Oh Snap he died" "AWESOME" "Dang Dude better luck next time" "Sucks to be you Dude" wafted through the family room and down the hall to my office.

Dinner time was close and I was trying to decide what to prepare. Typically Friday nights around our Casa is really informal and laid back. It's the end of a long week, I don't want to think too much about what I am making -- I have good eaters in my home who aren't too terribly picky as long as it's flavorful, fresh, and healthy.

However, my two over night guests only eat processed food, and that therein lies the problem. And one of them only eats a handful of things.

Pizza as long as it's pepperoni, hamburgers as long as they are plain but ketchup is okay. No cheese unless it's on the pizza. Chicken nuggets, french fries, waffles with syrup, Captain Crunch, Cinnamon Crunch Cereal, peanut butter and jelly (grape only) as long as its Wonder White Bread,Danables yogurt, potato chips, cheezits, Sprite, and skittles.

That's it.

The other child eats pretty well, but doesn't sleep. Always, always has to go home between 1 and 3 AM.

Last night was no exception.

For dinner I made Pepperoni pizza, steak, and salad. Child #1 ate pizza but nothing else. Not even milk or juice. I didn't have any Sprite. Child #2 Ate really well, and of course my kid eats whatever I put in front of him.

I let everyone stay up until Midnight and then Child #2 said "I really need to go home, I need my bed, I need my house." I said, "Honey Mom and Dad are not within cell reach and won't be home until tomorrow morning."

If looks could kill you all would be at my funeral.

His mom and I made a plan and I'd text her through the night. So the texts began at Midnight and by 2:00 AM he was texting her and extremely anxious. So by 4:00 AM guess who showed to get her child and guess who stayed up with him while he was anxious?

Both his parents showed up looking really pissed, and me. I stayed up with him.

And today, I am a crabby Panda.

Stumbling through the kitchen making breakfast that consisted of eggs, bacon, toast and juice. Child #2 proclaimed rather loudly "I don't like any of that and I am not eating."

So - instead of freaking out, I said, "Okay". And he went hungry while the rest of us ate, and I offered him nothing else.

I am taking him home now, and then I think I am going to take a much needed nap and thank my lucky stars my child is not high maintenance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.