My husband hasn't traveled for business since mid 2000. Right before our son was born. It's been kind of nice and kind of smothering. I am not the kind of girl who likes someone riding in her back pocket all of the time. And my husband bless his heart is a hands on kind of a guy who has an opinion about everything. Down to the kitchen which I think is entirely a woman's domain.
But I digress.
Neither one of us have been a fan of flying since 9/11. Yeah, yeah, I know get the hell over your fear. If you are afraid the terrorists have won and all of that other happy horseshit. The fact of the matter is if I am on a plane that's going down I am going to crap myself all the way down.
We also have this funky rule about all of us flying together. Again if the plane does down we all go down together and die together.
We've flown two times since 9/11. Once to San Francisco and once to Los Angeles. Both were okay flights once they pushed back and got their asses off the tarmac. My kid enjoyed the hell out of them. And why wouldn't he? The little prince flew first class both times and was treated like royalty. The flight attendants fawned all over him -- what's not to like.
So last week my husband took a trip for business back to Boston. You would have thought he was going to Africa. Pack -repack. Check-recheck. Blah Blah Blah. I offered to take him to the airport so we could pick him up.
Negatory good buddy he wanted to go on his own.
Now my husband doesn't exhibit nervousness. He won't say "Damn I am nervous". He'll just get down right crabby and horrible to live with. And I knew he was nervous being away just because he was being crabby. In lots of ways I almost wish he travelled a lot so we'd get used to it, he'd get used to it, and wouldn't be anxious.
At O'dark O'clock off he went and arrived in Boston 7 hours later, and checked in to a hotel room. I have to say my kid took it the hardest. First time ever he's been away from his Dad. I thought it would be good for him. I didn't think I'd miss my husband as much as I did, although I admit the day after he got home I was ready to send him back to Boston for a day. Jesus.
I will say the noises at night are louder when he's gone. And there's lots of funny things we miss about him when he's gone. And all around we love the crap outta the bug guy.
Not sure how many other trips he's going on, but the key we found is to keep busy, go to bed early, sleep it off and face the new day. One day our kid's going off to college and it will be him I will be missing. So being apart isn't horrible as long as we come back.
You know?
2 days ago





1 comments:
Husbands suffer Separation Anxiety too.
Mine rarely went anywhere without me/us but sometimes I didn't mind a night and a day to myself.. no thought of what to cook, anything that wasn't just for me or my idea... ( I also have one of those interested and an opinion on every single aspect of my life men) ...
One night was ok, more than that and I would get whiney.
Now as to the child going away to college... that almost put me in bed in a dark room for a year.
Prepare yourself now .. I was never one of those mothers who looked forward to the day they kid left home.. still miss him :) ( he is a grown up now)
Post a Comment
beam me your thoughts...