12.27.2011

What I Miss....

You know it's almost the end of 2011. When I think about this past year sometimes I think it flashed by like the speed of light, and other times passed by like warm molasses dripping off a piece of corn bread.

I guess there's no pleasing me.

But I am not here complain, really just talk about those things I miss. I miss us, the way we used to be.

Do you know what I mean?

Remember when we used to sit next to one another and talk about everything and nothing? Or how we played board games or cards? My favorite -- Scrabble, Sorry, and yes Monopoly.

Great Grandma Bessie could easily wipe the floor with us with scores of 350+, and the words she would come up I swear were from another planet.

You know for such a long time we've shared so many things -- we'd play cards for hours, just me and you. We'd argue about the rules of two handed pinochle, and if dirty word Scrabble was really acceptable to play.

Do you remember reading the same book and actually talking about it over coffee when we were both finished? Or how about the nights we'd all get together and swim and Jacuzzi (before it was called hot tubbbing) with no alcohol involved and talk about world problems and plan to solve them.

And speaking of coffee, it was the kind of coffee that was made in a percolator on the stove. There wasn't espresso to be had, or Starbucks, or Dutch Brothers, and there was no biscotti. It was dark, strong, and I always put lots of cream and sugar. I can remember sneaking coffee as a kid, because it was such a grown up drink.

I miss how you and I would stay home on a Saturday night to actually watch Saturday Night Live. We'd live for the music and the weekend updates. We'd actually talk about how funny we thought it was and our sides would split because we'd laugh so hard.

New Years was always full of laughter, fun, and NO PHONES, no facebook, or online anything.   I mean really the idea of going out to dinner without a phone -- mind blowing.

Sometimes I wonder if being online, complicates our lives more?

Whatever happened to staying up until the wee hours of the night contemplating life, reminiscing about funny stories of our childhood, or people we know and met. Sometimes it was just holding hands with our mate, exchanging a look a kiss, or just breathing in the scent of the one we love.

These little slivers of time, these small moments, momentary events, all replaced by go, go, rush, rush, Facebook this, check-in that, instant message, text, or even Twitter.

I will be the first to admit I am guilty of all of the above. I twitter, journal, and facebook. I also instant message and live in my email.

I miss real letters that are hand written, sometimes with our fragrance attached, placed in an envelope that we hand address with an actual stamp placed and mailed.

I miss those conversations you and I had that were actually face to face, in the same room sitting across from one another, whether that be at the old worn kitchen table, outside on the chaise lounge chairs, sitting on the front porch, or sharing an umbrella during one of the many rain storms we have experienced together.

Remember the secrets we'd whisper to one another, those knowing looks that can't be replaced by a text or a twitter? How about skinny dipping in the canal and knowing the neighbor was looking, and not caring as we giggled our way to the float?

So what I am saying is I miss you. I miss your face. I miss your voice. I miss you.

Let's make a point of actually slowing down in the coming year and actually connecting again.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Yes, oh my, yes. I couldn't say this any more perfectly. We've gotten away from people and into the internet. We've made phones instead of conversations our priority. And it shows in our relationships. Great post.

Captain Poolie said...

Okay, you made me cry.

Terri said...

You said it all and so well. Technology has caused us to all withdraw into our personal space and feel awkward about actually having a real in person conversation. It's scary to think that our children and grandchildren may never know what real communication is....

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.