I hesitate to use the word spectrum because my child isn't autistic. (Well he might be, but I don't know) I use the word spectrum because I think what he possesses is not only amazing but I think it's a phenomenon of sorts -- where as he isn't neurotypical and I think the only thing separating him from the other special needs kids is the fact he's brilliant and about 150 points in IQ.
As I read the following passage below I wept because this could really be my child.
"The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To him...
a touch is a blow,
a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy,
a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover,
a lover is a god,
and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create - - - so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning, his very breath is cut off from him. He must create, must pour out creation. By some strange, unknown, inward urgency he is not really alive unless he is creating."
-Pearl Buck-
I smile outwardly when others who notice my son's gifts lament to me about how "lucky I am to have a child who is so incredibly bright"
Inwardly, I cringe because they have no idea how challenging this can all be.
2 days ago





3 comments:
I can understand. I believe people who have special gifts, high IQ, or creativity...suffer often when others don't understand the intensity they live with every second of every day.
Having taught for so many years, I would rather work with a child with too much to give than not enough. The same is true with the actors I have cast.
It must be so difficult, at times, while other times amazingly rewarding. Complicated to say the least.
Post a Comment
beam me your thoughts...