This week we asked you to write a memoir post inspired by that statement – in 300 words or less.
We can’t wait to read!
Link up HERE, but only if you’ve responded the prompt.
I saw it in the distance looming like a monster waiting to eat me. My stomach flip-flopped as we inched closer through the crowd. It stood 310 feet tall at its highest point, as it overlooked Lake Erie. On a clear day you could see Canada from the top of the main hill. It was cold, huge, and made of steel.
My fear level was off the scale as I passed the attendants who were expressionless as if we were making the long walk to our respective deaths. I wondered if they had been previous riders who had already met their fate.
Winding our way through the queue I felt myself begin to sweat, my breath quickened the closer it was to our turn. The screams could be heard in the not far off distance which caused my eyes to water.
“Line 1” he said in a deep voice and pointed to our line. Wordlessly we took our place as we looked through the afternoon sun to watch the coaster put its prey through their paces.
The coaster rolled smoothly in and glided to an easy stop. The restraints flipped up and its riders poured out their death traps -- Some laughing, some crying, many terrified.
As I stepped into my car I sat down with a thud. The overhead restraint automatically closed over my shoulders in one fluid motion. I realized at that moment without a doubt I was riding this mother.
There was no going back.
I looked over at my friend, made the sign of the cross, offered a small prayer to the Gods above and felt the car shoot forward.
Being in the number one car we would be the first to scream, cry, throw up and perhaps die.





5 comments:
I love coasters! You captured the fear perfectly. It's an awful feeling until the moment you fly down the first hill, wind smacking you in the face.
The terrible thrill is so clear here! The line about lining up for your respective deaths made me laugh out loud!
I used to be terrified of roller coasters. The anxiety would grow and grow.
It would peak as the coaster clickity clacked up the steep hill, the extreme drop on the other side taunting you.
You captured this feeling so well.
And I love the last line.
Aak. I hate roller coasters- terrified.
But you- you captured the fear and turned it into excitement.
Hat tip, lady.
:)
And this is exactly why I refuse to ride coasters :)
Excellent job capturing the fear! Well done!
Post a Comment
beam me your thoughts...