For as long as I can remember (years and years) laundry has been a festering sore -- almost like a boil that refuses to come to a head. It's right under the surface, it hurts when you touch it, you wish it would just erupt already.
But, it never does.
That's how I feel about laundry.
It's always there, reminding me of my failure as a mother, wife, person in general. I actually panic when my mother comes to visit because I know she's going to ask me if I need help with the laundry.
In days gone past I would say no -- and lie about it. Now I have succumbed to my pride and say "Sure, knock yourself out."
The reality is I have great intentions. However, life gets in the way and something has to give and that's sadly the laundry. Now don't get me wrong -- it's not so bad that instead of washing I am buying new clothes like my former mother in law used to do (for real!)I keep up with the stuff that needs to be done, the underwear, and basic clothes, thankfully I have a shitload of sheets and I usually use them all up and then once a quarter wash them and fold them at the laundromat.
Pretty stupid huh?
My biggest fall down is socks. I hate socks. They all go in one big basket where we paw through them find a match and everyone's sweaty and snarly when they finally find a matching pair.
The other downfall - all my dish towels and wash cloths. Once again in a big basket. And while we are talking about baskets all the clean clothes end up in about 11 baskets that are scattered throughout the house, moved from room to room so it looks like I have made progress.
The sad truth is my guest bathroom off the laundry room isn't useable because it's full of baskets of clothes in various stages.
So what I need to do is get all my dirty clothes load them in to the truck, drive down to the laundromat, spend the day washing, drying, and folding and them truck them back home and spend 2 hours putting them all away.
My biggest excuse was always "I don't have enough room. That's not true now. Now I have an amazing organizer that's 6 boxes high (7 feet high) and 6 boxes across (7 feet across), so I have 36 boxes to organize underwear, socks, jeans, t-shirts and what not. No excuse at all.
none.what.so.ever
Why don't I do it?
Because I hate it. I hate laundry. I wish I could wear something and throw it away and wear new things. But that's not reality.
Really I could run the laundry all day. I don't mind sorting. I don't mind washing, I don't mind drying. I mind folding, and I loathe putting it all away.
Just loathe it.
So here I am looking at my laundry sitting in baskets in the front room wanting to be folded.
And here I sit on my ass writing to you all in a journal rather than doing my domestic duties.
I suck!
2 days ago





2 comments:
Boy do I hear you on this! My European washer and dryer takes about 3.5 hours to wash and dry one load. I'm NEVER finished with laundry. Hence...the laundramat on base every now and then, getting ALL the laundry done in one fell swoop...then having everyone take and put their OWN laundry away. Never mind that mind remains piled up on my dresser far more often than not. :)
I have a household of four and there is a lot of laundry, with my boys tending to change all their clothing every day. Before I started making everyone do their own (ah, sweet relief), I kept up by washing, drying, folding and putting away only one load a day. Would that work for you?
Post a Comment
beam me your thoughts...