4.05.2010

Can You Hear the Wailing and the Gnashing of the Teeth?

Dear Son -

I know you think I am the biggest ogre in the world. However, when I ask you to make sure you tie the trash sack tightly before you place it in the big garbage can it's not because I am trying to make your life miserable. No really, it's to save you a lot of potential work down the road.

Like today for instance -- we are in the midst of a really bad Spring wind storm. I think we are receiving gusts up to 50 miles per hour. Because you failed to tie the trash up like I asked you to the trash is now all over the yard because you decided not to listen to me.

So while I am typing from the warmth of my office, I am watching you tromp through the rain and braving the wind to gather up an entire bag of trash that has scattered itself all over the yard when the top of the garbage can was blown away by the wind -- AND the trash in the sack that you DIDN'T tie up was blown open as well.

And please don't think I don't feel badly for you. I truly do. It's all I can do not to grab my rain coat and come out to help you. But I know what will happen -- you will begin to whine and cry and I will get tired of listening to you whine and cry and I will send you into the house.

Into the warm house, where you want to be in the first place.

So I am going to sit tight and watch you clean up the mess you created even if it kills me.

Love, Mom

PS -- I left the old hamburger spatula out by the Marie Calendars pie tin and rotten banana creme pie. You can scoop it up off the patio and put it back in the sack. I hope this time you tie the sack firmly shut. Love, mom

4 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

Dear Ogre,
Welcome to the Club. We ogres come in all sizes and ages but one thing we have in common is torturing our children .. and you know what, a good ogre can sit back one day and admire the wonderful job she did , how well that kid turned out .. while you sat there controlling yourself and letting him learn his lesson ..
One day you two will laugh about it.
Really, you will.
Promise :)
C~

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You should have seen what we put kids through when I worked on the ship! Cleaning up trash would have been the "desirable" task. You are making him into a responsible gentleman. Good for you!

x said...

Oh my goodness (re: your new bride story that you left for me on my blog), I would absolutely turn to piddle. P.S. I need to write the same letter to my son but he needs to start doing stuff around the house first, PERIOD!!!!

Anonymous said...

LMAO, I have had situations like this lately with my 7yo. And I found out he'd complained about me and his dad to my mom, LOL. We're "really mean and treat him like a baby and make him do EVERYTHING!".

Doing things right the 1st time is a valuable virtue. (Is that even a virtue? If not, it should be!)

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.