3.30.2010

The Bummer Of Being A Grown Up and Going To College

It's all about the responsibility man. When I was a kid and going to college the first time I never felt badly when I blew off a class or missed a test or a paper. I was a kid, 19, footloose and fancy free. Guilt and those feelings associated with guilt never entered my mind.

Well wait, that's not true, maybe guilt entered fleetingly in between having a rusty nail or having sex. But it never lasted long and I was no worse for the wear. Although I have to say I stopped going to college after the first year because it put a cramp into my partying style.

So fast forward (cough*ahem*25+*cough) years later and now I am back in school. I have actually been in school since 1998. One class a bloody term. And can we say "anal retentive"? I can't miss a paper, quiz, or a test. If I know I am going to miss any sort of online discussion question, or any other school related activity it's a note dashed off to my professors giving them probably way too much information about why I can't meet a deadline.

It's ridiculous if you ask me.

Last term I had some legitimate health issues that caused to me petition for an incomplete which I received with no problem. Do you think I can rest without worry about those damn incompletes?

Oh hell no.

Responsibility-itis has kicked in and it's now functioning on over time for cripes sakes.
I would like to stay in my pajamas, watch movies and fold laundry today, but noooooooo I feel compelled to go write a paper or two.

I am tellin ya -- being a grown up sucks sometimes. I wish I weren't so responsible.

6 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

I think you are wonderful doing this !
One on hand, it is easier, you already have some smarts and know Stuff. On the other, when you were a kid, hopefully, you didn't have as much on your mind ( well, kids in general, stuff like work, kids, life) and homework and study are still a part of life. But for you to go back to it and do it again, now ?
I think you are just so cool !!

I am still considering the positives/negatives of being a grown-up.

x said...

I have dreams about college all the time - that I never graduated. I wonder what that means in a dream interpretation. But, I digress. I think this is great and am very proud of you, fellow bloggy peep! P.S. Will post about Pip Tut wrap tomorrow. :) -Pippi

Schmoop said...

I dig being a grown up. I can be responsible while not acting like I am. No one is in a postition to tell me to straighten up and act normal. Cheers!!

Countess said...

I finished 3 papers towards a diploma last year. The "kids" I studied with didn't hand in papers and skipped classes. I attended everything going and studied hard out. I got results that reflected my efforts :-)
I don't mind being responsible most of the time but look out when I do party....its not always pretty!

Marla said...

I've always been like you are right now... except I am a kid. It's annoying actually, because I obsess about every little thing. That hard to do when your taking eighteen hours.

But I have been rewarded and will be graduating a semester early with a 4.0 gpa. Keep up the hard work. It will be worth it in the end!

Marla @ www.asthefarmturns.wordpress.com

x said...

Yes the mummy stuff is pretty much the most far out thing I have done to change my body but we shall see what happens today. Very curious!

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.