10.17.2010

When you can't help...

One of my dearest and most closest friends lost his father yesterday. His father was in his late 80's, and indeed lived a full life but this was his dad, his companion, his pal, his roomate, his buddy, and his friend.

I missed the call and heard the message on my voice mail. The tears with a mind of their own slid down my face as I listened. Part way through I had to hang up, and ask my husband to listen for me and share with me the details.

It was so painful.

We all grieve so differently. I want to be surrounded by my family and my friends. I want to talk about it all.

So when my friend asked me not to call I had to respect that. I did text to make sure he wasn't alone, and was with someone, and that he was eating and sleeping. All I want to do is go over there and sit with him.

But he's not me.

So I feel as if I am not helping at all. I'd do anything for my friend, he's such an amazing person.

But for right now I just sit and wait for him to let me know what it is he needs.

That's the hardest part of all.

4 comments:

Captain Poolie said...

You are doing exactly the right thing. You are having your feelings and you are honoring his. Blessings.

YankeeChick said...

I know how hard it is for you to have to stay back and honor his wishes. You are such a kind hearted and nurturing person, my dear friend. I'm sure he will soon be ready for your comforting presence. **hugs**

Anonymous said...

I know you want to be there to cry with him. I suggest sending him a card with a handwritten note....I am sure when he is ready to share his grief; you will be the first one he calls.

Notes From ABroad said...

You are doing something for him .. you are being kind and thoughtful and respectful.
And he will always remember that and love you for it.

You are a good friend.

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.