4.24.2011

The Secret Society Of The Professional Women's Potty Mouth Brigade

I work with a lovely group of professional women who are well educated (And I don't necessarily mean with lots and lots of degree's and titles after their name, I mean world experience, business experience, and life experience - just plain experience.), thoughtful, brilliant, kind, and really in the know of the industry in which we work.

When I attend meetings, teleconferences, or exchange email I am very very careful to be appropriate, polite, and above all well-spoken and articulate. Profanity and colorful metaphors would dare not cross these lips or come from my keyboard. Never. Ever. No. Way.

The other day I was speaking to one of my peers on the phone about a specific issue, and the conversation became rather animated and highly spirited. We were not disagreeing with one another, we in fact, were on the same page, on the same wave length really getting one another -- in fact, if we were men we probably would have "high fived" one another. As the conversation became more passionate my peer blurted out :

"Absofuckinglutley! That kind of bullshit drives me up the fucking wall!"

I was gobsmacked! And I dissolved into peels of laughter. And then she realized what she said and began to apologize all over herself. I wouldn't hear of it, and said "You never have to apologize for being you and sharing what's real with me" We both laughed and laughed. After we finished our business conversation we talked about the other delightful women with who we work and discovered there is truly a secret society of the professional women's potty mouth brigade! I loved it. If we were men, and tossed around the typical "shit", "fuck" "son of a bitch" type words all day we'd be looked upon as hard working men. However, we aren't men, we are equipped with vagina's not penises and therefore, to use profanity in the workplace is not only inappropriate, women are looked down upon and viewed as uneducated and not lady like if we do.

Kind of stupid isn't it?

4 comments:

Poolie said...

Fuck yeah, it's stupid! We should be able to say any fucking thing we like!

Terri said...

There are still some words that make me quiver...but I have to say that I agree with you. So funny in business that everything a woman does has to be better than what a man does and most of us do it in high heels too!

Carrie said...

Definitely! And I love the way you said it. I forget how funny you are.

LindaSalem said...

On top of having to keep a tight rein on the F-bombs, we also make on average only $.77 for every $1.00 a man makes. What's up with that shit - lol.

Every once in a while I too will drop my own F-bombs but in a strictly business setting, I don't like a lot of profanity from either sex. To me, in excess from anybody, profanity can become a distraction and can really lower the tone of the office too much sometimes.

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.