6.14.2012

I am your child

It seems like yesterday that we were gently placing our son's tiny seven pound body into the car seat and strapping him in for his first ride home. Oh how terrified we were. I think we drove 25 miles per hour all the way home. And then we joyously experienced all of those firsts, his first smile, his first words, his first steps, lost his first tooth, and before I knew it my husband and I were taking him to his first day of Kindergarten.

And now he's embarking upon puberty, middle school, and he's just plain growing up with all the stuff that goes with that -- namely independence.

Over the past 12 years I have had plenty of time to think about my role in my son's life, the loss of my genetics, being a mom, and what that all means. During this time my son and I have had many conversations about "all of this" and my son who is wise beyond his years has simplified it for me.

He says to me, "Mom, I am your child." And while he waxes Yoda I am reminded of Barry Manilow's simple yet powerful song: I am your child

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Terri said...

What she said.....she took the words out of my mouth.

Terri T.

Terri said...

I just nominated you for the Sunshine Award. Please check out my blog for the details....

Post a Comment

beam me your thoughts...

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Karina Designs Purple Love kit.